Sat, 16 Oct|
Outside Lives HQ
Ferment! - The Art of Fermentation (All Sessions)
Tickets £40 - Did you know that our gut bacteria influences over 20 different hormones affecting the way our brain works, our immune system, metabolism, energy levels and our overall mood. During this course, we'll look at ways fermentation can support this... and we'll make some yummy things too!
Time & Location
16 Oct 2021, 10:00 – 11:30 BST
Outside Lives HQ, Mold CH7 5LE, UK
About the Event
Did you know...
- There are more bacteria cells in our body than human cells
- Our gut bacteria influences over 20 different hormones which affect the way our brain works, our immune system, metabolism, energy levels and our overall mood
- Everyone has a unique colony of 300-500 species of bacteria that line their digestive tract and eating fermented foods is one of the ways you can keep the bacteria healthy!
This is a series of 3 IN PERSON workshops in which you will learn how easy and inexpensive it is to make probiotic, fermented foods that are often expensive to buy in the supermarket. The cost of the workshop includes all three dates.
During the course we’ll aim to bust the myth that bacteria are ‘bad’ and need to be exterminated, and instead look at the ways we can harness the benefits of fermented foods to keep us healthy, from the inside out.
What we'll make...
Sauerkraut, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), Kefir water... and possibly Kombucha.
Dates for your diaries...
Week 1: 16th October
We'll explore how maintaining good gut health is vital for our mental health & physical wellbeing
We'll prepare our Apple Cider Vinegar and our Kefir water
Week 2: 30th October
We'll prepare our Sauerkraut and continue the making process for ACV & Kefir water.
Week 3: 13th November
We'll finish making our Sauerkraut
We'll also get a little creative and upcycle some 'household rubbish' into an abstract model of a bacteria cell!
Please note that the workshops are at 2-week intervals to allow for discussion on how the fermentations are progressing as the process is not instant.
Ingredients will be provided.
Participants will however, need to bring along a few items:
- a sharp knife
- chopping board
- surgical gloves (for Sauerkraut if you don’t want red fingers!)
- A 2L jar / croc pot (one for each session) - there is an option to purchase on the day for £5
- If you have them - some old tights/ stockings/ elastic bands or holey rubber gloves that would be great (these can be provided if you don't have any)
- Please bring along any interesting pieces of ‘rubbish’ to help us create our abstract bacteria model - things such as old fabric, thread, rope, card etc
Who this course may benefit...
- anyone with an interest in cooking, preserving, fermentation
- anyone interested in improving their digestive system
- anyone interested in understanding the influence of diet on health & well-being
- those interested in sustainable living
+£1 Service fee
Three sessions: 16/10 30/10 13/10
+£1 Service fee0